1700 N. Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32303
Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, 2009–Present
Doctoral Candidate, Department of Religious Studies
University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2007–2009
Research Master’s, Religious Studies, Cum Laude
Kennesaw State University, Kennesaw, Georgia, 2003–2007
Bachelor of Arts in English, Summa Cum Laude
Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Monastery, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, July 2004
Humanistic Buddhism Monastic Life Summer Program
Southern Polytechnic State University, Marietta, Georgia, 1991–1993
Bachelor of Science in Computer Sciences (uncompleted)
- Florida State University: Introduction to World Religions, Spring 2010; Spring 2012; Fall 2012; Spring 2013; Spring 2013 (Online); Summer 2013 (Online), Summer 2014 (Online)
- Florida State University: Religion in the United States, Fall 2013
- Florida State University: New Religious Movements, Spring 2014
- Tallahassee Community College: Introduction to World Religion, Fall 2011; Spring 2012; Summer 2012; Summer 2012 (Online); Fall 2012; Spring 2013; Fall 2013, Spring 2014, Summer 2014
- Tallahassee Community College: Humanities I (Pre-History to Italian Renaissance), Spring 2013
- Florida State University: Introduction to World Religions, Fall 2009
- Florida State University: Multicultural Film, Summer 2012
Digital Course Development:
- Florida State University: Assisted in the development of department’s first online course, Introduction to World Religions, Summer 2012-Fall 2012
Peer-Reviewed Journal Essays
- “Taming the Astral Body: The Theosophical Society’s Ongoing Problem of Emotion and Control.” Journal of the American Academy of Religion 80.3 (September 2012), 691-717.
- “Accessing the Astral with a Monitor and Mouse: Esoteric Religion and the Astral located in Three Dimensional Virtual Realms” in Contemporary Esotericism, Granholm K. & Egil Asprem, eds. London: Acumen Publishing, February 2013.
- “Venerable Ananda Metteyya’s Buddhist Mission to the UK,” in Dharma to the UK: A Centennial Celebration of Buddhist Legacy. ed. Dr. Mahinda Deegalle. London: World Buddhist Foundation, 14-36, September 2008.
- Occultism in a Global Perspective, edited by Henrik Bogdan and Gordan Djurdjevic (Acumen Publishing, 2014). Reviewed for Religious Studies Review, forthcoming.
- Celestial India: Madame Blavatsky and the Birth of Indian Nationalism, by Isaac Lubelsky (Equinox Pub. 2012). Reviewed for Nova 17.4 (May 2014).
- Radiance from Halcyon: A Utopian Experiment in Religion and Science, by Paul Eli Ivey (Univ Of Minnesota Press, 2013). Reviewed for Quest, 101.4 (Fall 2013), 156, 158.
- Native American Freemasonry: Associationalism and Performance in America, by Joy Porter (Nebraska UP 2011). Nova Religio 17.2 (Nov. 2013), 123-126.
- Dixie Dharma: Inside a Buddhist Temple in the American South, by Jeff Wilson (UNC Press 2012). Reviewed for the Journal of Southern Religion, vol 14 (2012).
Reference Work Entries
- “Astral plane,” “Mesmerism,” and “Ritual magic” entries in Ghosts, Spirits, and Psychics: The Paranormal from Alchemy to Zombies, Matt Cardin, ed., ABC-Clio, forthcoming.
- “Spiritualism,” and “Aleister Crowley,” and “Automatic Writing” entries in Encyclopedia of Possession and Exorcism, Joseph Laycock, ed., ABC-Clio, forthcoming.
- “Illuminati Controversy” and “New Age” in Religion and Politics in America, DiMare, Philip C., ed., Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, forthcoming.
- “Spiritualism” and “Ouija Board” entries in The Twenties in America, Carl Rollyson, ed. Pasadena: Salem Press, April 2012. Pgs 658-659, 818-819.
- “Thought-Forms” and “The Seal of the Theosophical Society” entries in Emblems, Magic, and Higher Knowledge: Western Esotericism in Images. Asprem, E. & Joyce Pijnenburg, eds. Seattle: Ouroboros Press, forthcoming.
Journals, Magazines and Other Publications
- “Thought Forms: A Bibliographic Error” in Theosophical History: A Quarterly Journal of Research 16.3-4 (July – October 2012), 126-127.
- “Miracle or Magic? The Problematic Status of Christian Amulets,” in Van Discussie tot Beleving: Religiestudies aan de UvA (From Discussion to Experience: Religious Studies at the University of Amsterdam). ed. Jacqueline Braak and Deirdre Malone. Amsterdam: Ars Notoria/University of Amsterdam, 97-112, April 2009.
- “The Unity of All Life: Ananda Metteyya’s View of Nature,” in The Middle Way: The Journal of the Buddhist Society. Serialized in 83.3 (November 2008), 131-137, & 83.4 (February 2009), 195-202.
- “Allan Bennett & the Emergence of Buddhism in the West,” in Insight: The Journal of the Theosophical Society of England, 49.3 (Autumn 2008), 30-33.
- “Epistemological Blinders: Constructivism and Mahamudra,” in Quinta Essentia: The Selected Proceedings of the 5th Annual North Georgia Student Philosophy Conference, August 2007.
- “The Nature of Becoming: An Examination of Aleister Crowley’s Ontology and Map of Consciousness,” in Interplay: The Selected Proceedings of the 4th Annual North Georgia Student Philosophy Conference, January 2007.
- Assistant Editor, Japan Studies Association Journal, 2008-2012, Japan Studies Association
- Assistant Editor, East West-Connections, 2005-2012, The Asian Studies Development Program of the East-West Center in Honolulu, Hawai’i.
- Assistant to the Editors, Church History: Studies in Christianity and Culture, 2010-2011, American Society of Church History
- “Spreading The Light of Asia To Europe: Ananda Metteyya’s Buddhist Message to the West.” World Buddhist Foundation “UK Buddhist Day Celebrations,” September 20, 2009, London, England.
- “The Theosophical Shift to the Visual: Graphical Representations of the Human Body in the Literature of Second and Third Generation Leadership in the Theosophical Society.” Colgate University. “Esoteric Practice: Theories, Representations, & Method,” Fifth International Conference of the Association of the Study of Esotericism, June 19-22, 2014, Hamilton, New York
- “The Theosophical Shift to the Visual: Graphical Representations of the Human Body in the Literature of Second and Third Generation Leadership in the Theosophical Society.” Florida State University. “Inscribing Authority: Bodies, Spaces, Texts,” Thirteenth Annual Department of Religion Graduate Student Symposium, February 21-23, 2014, Tallahassee, Florida
- “Just Call Me Jack: Madame Blavatsky’s Gender Politics.” Florida State University. “Politics of Religion,” Twelfth Annual Department of Religion Graduate Student Symposium, February 22-24, 2012, Tallahassee, Florida
- “Ariosophic Demon Seeds: The Theosophical Roots of Nazi Race Theory.” “World War II and Religion Conference,” Institute on World War II and the Human Experience and Department of Religion, Florida State University, November 29-December 2, 2012, Tallahassee, Florida.
- “Disciplining the Mental and Desire Bodies on the Astral Plane: Thought-Forms and the Regulation of the Theosophical Bodies.” Annual Meeting, American Academy of Religion, November17-20, 2012, Chicago, Illinois.
- “Blavatsky’s Coming Race: Nationalism, Racism and Fiction in Theosophical Doctrine.” University of California-Davis. “Esotericism, Religion, and Culture,” Association for the Study of Esotericism Fourth International Conference, July 19-22, 2012, Davis, California
- “Blavatsky’s Coming Race: Nationalism, Racism and Fiction in Theosophical Doctrine.” University of North Carolina-Asheville. “Spiritual Matters/Matters of the Spirit,” 33rd Annual Conference of the Nineteenth Century Studies Association, March 22-24, 2012, Asheville, North Carolina
- “Lemuria Rising: California in the Theosophical Place-Making Imagination.” South Eastern Commission for the Study of Religion, Regional Meeting, March 2-4, 2012, Atlanta, Georgia
- “Blavatsky’s Coming Race: Nationalism, Racism and Fiction in Theosophical Doctrine.” Florida State University. “Beyond Borders: Constructing, Deconstructing, and Transgressing Boundaries,” Eleventh Annual Department of Religion Graduate Student Symposium, February 17-19, 2012, Tallahassee, Florida
- “‘Can Females Become Adepts?’: Explicating the Complexity of Gender within the Theosophical Society.” Florida State University. “Women and Minorities: Past and Present,” Third Annual Southeast Regional History Graduate Student Conference, September 9, 2011, Tallahassee, Florida
- “Placing Western Esotericism on the Map: Exploring the Geographic Distribution of a Modern Occult Organization.” University of Toronto, “Religion: A Human Phenomenon,” 20th World Congress of the International Association for the History of Religion, August 15-21, 2010, Toronto, Canada.
- “A New Jerusalem in Cyberspace?” University of Strasbourg, “Capitals of European Esotericism and Transcultural Dialogue,” 2nd International Conference of ESSWE, July 2-4, 2009, Strasbourg, France.
- “Duncan’s Royal Arch Ritual as a possible framework for Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code.” University of Leiden, “The Expression of Freemasonry,” November 27-28, 2008, The Hague, Netherlands.
- “The Bhikkhu and the Magus: Exploring Allan Bennett’s Influence on Aleister Crowley.” CESNUR, ‘Twenty Years and More: Research into Minority Religions, New Religious Movements and ‘the New Spirituality’ April 16-20, 2008, London, England.
- “Miracle or Magic: The Problematic Status of Christian Amulets.” University of Amsterdam, “Emblems, Magic, and Hidden Knowledge,” March 25, 2008, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- “Epistemological Blinders: Constructivism and Mahamudra.” Kennesaw State University, 5th Annual North Georgia Student Philosophy Conference, April 4, 2007, Atlanta Georgia.
- “The Nature of Becoming: An examination of Aleister Crowley’s Ontology and Map of Consciousness.” Kennesaw State University, 4th Annual North Georgia Student Philosophy Conference, April 2, 2006, Atlanta Georgia.
- FSU Excellence in Online Teaching Award (2013)
- Honorable Mention FSU Excellence in Online Course Design Award (2013)
- Best Philosophy Paper, Third Annual Southeast Regional History Graduate Student Conference, 2011
- FSU Department of Religion Presentation Grant, 2009 & 2010
- FSU Congress of Graduate Students ConferencePresentation Grant, 2009 & 2010
- FSU Graduate Tuition Scholarship, 2009 – 2013
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarship, Graduate School of Humanities 2007-2009
- Georgia HOPE Tuition Scholarship 2004-2007
- MOOC Advisory Committee Member, American Historical Association (AHA), 2013
- Buddhism in the West, American Academy of Religion (AAR) Sub-Committee Member, 2013
Infotank, LLC., Atlanta, Georgia
Information Technology Support Engineer August 2006 to July 2007
- Assist in the maintenance of all information technology for largest Presbyterian congregation in the United States
- Provide support of servers, network, and users on a day-to-day basis
TechDiscovery, LLC., Atlanta, Georgia
Information Technology Manager September 2000 to August 2006
- Designed, implemented, and managed Windows 2003 & Cisco based network infrastructure between Atlanta, Georgia and Kiev, Ukraine, with satellite locations in Denver, Colorado, and Austin, Texas.
- Project management of multiple internal and client based projects
- Taught numerous internal courses to employees and management on software and network systems
GlobalDoc, Inc., Atlanta, Georgia
Localization Manager January 1999 to August 1999
- Managed projects for adapting software products and documentation for foreign markets for Fortune 500 companies
- Installed and managed internal local area network
- Updated and maintained company internet site in five languages
MB Consulting, Inc., Acworth, Georgia
President February 1996 to September 2000
- Installed & managed Windows & Macintosh based networks for graphics and publishing companies throughout Southeastern United States
- Sales & installation of non-English language fonts, graphics & design software, specializing in Asian languages
- Assisted Apple Computer, Inc., Adobe Systems, Inc. and DiamondSoft, Inc. in prerelease beta testing of non-English language software
- American Historical Association, 2013
- American Academy of Religion, 2010-2013
- Association for the Study of Esotericism (North America), 2006-2013
- European Society for the Study of Western Esotericism, 2008-2013
- The National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- Sigma Nu Fraternity, Iota Pi Chapter