1700 N. Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32303
Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, 2009–Present
Doctoral Candidate, Department of Religious Studies
Dissertation: Occult Bodies: The Corporal Construction of the Theosophical Society, 1895-1935
Academic Advisor: Amanda Porterfield (Florida State University)
University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2007–2009
Research Master’s, Religious Studies, Cum Laude
Thesis: The White Knight in the Yellow Robe: Allan Bennett’s Search for Truth
Academic Advisors: Marco Pasi (University of Amsterdam) & Elizabeth J. Harris (Liverpool Hope University)
Kennesaw State University, Kennesaw, Georgia, 2003–2007
Bachelor of Arts in English, Summa Cum Laude
Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Monastery, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, July 2004
Humanistic Buddhism Monastic Life Summer Program
Southern Polytechnic State University, Marietta, Georgia, 1991–1993
Bachelor of Science in Computer Sciences (uncompleted)
Instructional Development Faculty
Florida State University, Office of Distance Learning (ODL). August 2014 to Present
- Designing, developing, implementing, and evaluating appropriate instructional and technological solutions in support of online courses and programs for a variety of departments throughout the university
- Ensuring the quality of the instructional design of online courses and programs though training, consultation, and other related activities
- Assisting with the development of project budgets, timelines, and marketing materials to ensure successful deployment of online programs and courses.
- Lead role in ODL accessibility awareness and compliance faculty education; coordinate ODL and Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC) interaction
- Florida State University: Introduction to World Religions, Spring 2010; Spring 2012; Fall 2012; Spring 2013; Spring 2013 (Online); Summer 2013 (Online), Summer 2014 (Online); Fall 2014 (Online); Spring 2015 (Online)
- Florida State University: Religion in the United States, Fall 2013
- Florida State University: New Religious Movements, Spring 2014
- Tallahassee Community College: Introduction to World Religion, Fall 2011; Spring 2012; Summer 2012; Summer 2012 (Online); Fall 2012; Spring 2013; Fall 2013, Spring 2014, Summer 2014, Fall 2014
- Tallahassee Community College: Humanities I (Pre-History to Italian Renaissance), Spring 2013
- Utah State University: Introduction to Religious Studies, Fall 2014 (Online); Spring 2015 (Online); Summer 2015 (Online)
- Utah State University: Introduction to Buddhism, Spring 2015 (Online); Summer 2015 (Online)
Online Course Development:
- Utah State University: Developed an Introduction to Buddhism online course for the Religious Studies program in the History Department, Fall 2014
- Utah State University: Developed an Introduction to Religious Studies online course for the Religious Studies program in the History Department, Summer 2014
- Florida State University: Assisted in the development of department’s first online course, Introduction to World Religions, Summer 2012-Fall 2012; revised Summer 2015
- Florida State University: Introduction to World Religions, Fall 2009
- Florida State University: Multicultural Film, Summer 2012
Peer-Reviewed Journal Essays
- “Taming the Astral Body: The Theosophical Society’s Ongoing Problem of Emotion and Control.” Journal of the American Academy of Religion 80.3 (September 2012), 691-717.
- “Accessing the Astral with a Monitor and Mouse: Esoteric Religion and the Astral located in Three Dimensional Virtual Realms” in Contemporary Esotericism, Granholm K. & Egil Asprem, eds. London: Acumen Publishing, February 2013.
- “Venerable Ananda Metteyya’s Buddhist Mission to the UK,” in Dharma to the UK: A Centennial Celebration of Buddhist Legacy. ed. Dr. Mahinda Deegalle. London: World Buddhist Foundation, 14-36, September 2008.
- Religion and the Subtle Body in Asia and the West: Between Mind and Body, edited by Geoffrey Samuel and Jay Johnson (Routledge, 2013). Reviewed for Religious Studies Review, 40.4 (December 2014), 196.
- Occultism in a Global Perspective, edited by Henrik Bogdan and Gordan Djurdjevic (Acumen Publishing, 2014). Reviewed for Religious Studies Review, , 40.4 (December 2014), 195.
- Celestial India: Madame Blavatsky and the Birth of Indian Nationalism, by Isaac Lubelsky (Equinox Pub. 2012). Reviewed for Nova 17.4 (May 2014).
- Radiance from Halcyon: A Utopian Experiment in Religion and Science, by Paul Eli Ivey (Univ Of Minnesota Press, 2013). Reviewed for Quest, 101.4 (Fall 2013), 156, 158.
- Native American Freemasonry: Associationalism and Performance in America, by Joy Porter (Nebraska UP 2011). Nova Religio 17.2 (Nov. 2013), 123-126.
- Dixie Dharma: Inside a Buddhist Temple in the American South, by Jeff Wilson (UNC Press 2012). Reviewed for the Journal of Southern Religion, vol 14 (2012).
- “Illuminati Controversy,” “New Age,” and “Buddhism” in Religion and Politics in America, Smith, Frank, ed., Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, May 2016.
- “Astral plane,” “Mesmerism,” and “Ritual magic” entries in Ghosts, Spirits, and Psychics: The Paranormal from Alchemy to Zombies, Matt Cardin, ed., ABC-Clio, August 2015.
- “Spiritualism,” and “Aleister Crowley,” and “Automatic Writing” entries in Encyclopedia of Possession and Exorcism, Joseph Laycock, ed., ABC-Clio, June 2015.
- “Spiritualism” and “Ouija Board” entries in The Twenties in America, Carl Rollyson, ed. Pasadena: Salem Press, April 2012. Pgs 658-659, 818-819.
- “Thought-Forms” and “The Seal of the Theosophical Society” entries in Emblems, Magic, and Higher Knowledge: Western Esotericism in Images. Egil Asprem & Joyce Pijnenburg, eds. Seattle: Ouroboros Press, forthcoming.
Journals, Magazines and Other Publications
- “Thought Forms: A Bibliographic Error” in Theosophical History: A Quarterly Journal of Research 16.3-4 (July – October 2012), 126-127.
- “Miracle or Magic? The Problematic Status of Christian Amulets,” in Van Discussie tot Beleving: Religiestudies aan de UvA (From Discussion to Experience: Religious Studies at the University of Amsterdam). ed. Jacqueline Braak and Deirdre Malone. Amsterdam: Ars Notoria/University of Amsterdam, 97-112, April 2009.
- “The Unity of All Life: Ananda Metteyya’s View of Nature,” in The Middle Way: The Journal of the Buddhist Society. Serialized in 83.3 (November 2008), 131-137, & 83.4 (February 2009), 195-202.
- “Allan Bennett & the Emergence of Buddhism in the West,” in Insight: The Journal of the Theosophical Society of England, 49.3 (Autumn 2008), 30-33.
- “Epistemological Blinders: Constructivism and Mahamudra,” in Quinta Essentia: The Selected Proceedings of the 5th Annual North Georgia Student Philosophy Conference, August 2007.
- “The Nature of Becoming: An Examination of Aleister Crowley’s Ontology and Map of Consciousness,” in Interplay: The Selected Proceedings of the 4th Annual North Georgia Student Philosophy Conference, January 2007.
- “Spreading The Light of Asia To Europe: Ananda Metteyya’s Buddhist Message to the West.” World Buddhist Foundation “UK Buddhist Day Celebrations,” September 20, 2009, London, England.
- “Embodying Christ Consciousness: Jiddu Krishnamurti as the 20th century Theosophical Mahatma.” Florida State University. “Religion & Resistance,” Fourteenth Annual Department of Religion Graduate Student Symposium, February 20-22, 2015, Tallahassee, Florida
- “The Primeval Divine Hermaphrodite: Theosophy’s Construction and Deconstruction of Victorian Gender Norms.” Annual Meeting, American Academy of Religion, November 22-25, 2014, San Diego, California.
- “A Necessary Evil: Theosophy’s Ambivalence towards the Human Body.” The Theosophical Society in England. International Theosophical History Conference, September 20-21, 2014, London, England
- “The Theosophical Shift to the Visual: Graphical Representations of the Human Body in the Literature of Second and Third Generation Leadership in the Theosophical Society.” Colgate University. “Esoteric Practice: Theories, Representations, & Method,” Fifth International Conference of the Association for the Study of Esotericism, June 19-22, 2014, Hamilton, New York
- “The Theosophical Shift to the Visual: Graphical Representations of the Human Body in the Literature of Second and Third Generation Leadership in the Theosophical Society.” Florida State University. “Inscribing Authority: Bodies, Spaces, Texts,” Thirteenth Annual Department of Religion Graduate Student Symposium, February 21-23, 2014, Tallahassee, Florida
- “Adjudicating the Limits of Belief: Ballard and the Sincerity of Religious Faith.” Florida State University. “Religion and Law in America,” March 22-23, 2013, Tallahassee, Florida
- “Just Call Me Jack: Madame Blavatsky’s Gender Politics.” Florida State University. “Politics of Religion,” Twelfth Annual Department of Religion Graduate Student Symposium, February 22-24, 2012, Tallahassee, Florida
- “Ariosophic Demon Seeds: The Theosophical Roots of Nazi Race Theory.” “World War II and Religion Conference,” Institute on World War II and the Human Experience and Department of Religion, Florida State University, November 29-December 2, 2012, Tallahassee, Florida.
- “Disciplining the Mental and Desire Bodies on the Astral Plane: Thought-Forms and the Regulation of the Theosophical Bodies.” Annual Meeting, American Academy of Religion, November17-20, 2012, Chicago, Illinois.
- “Blavatsky’s Coming Race: Nationalism, Racism and Fiction in Theosophical Doctrine.” University of California-Davis. “Esotericism, Religion, and Culture,” Association for the Study of Esotericism Fourth International Conference, July 19-22, 2012, Davis, California
- “Blavatsky’s Coming Race: Nationalism, Racism and Fiction in Theosophical Doctrine.” University of North Carolina-Asheville. “Spiritual Matters/Matters of the Spirit,” 33rd Annual Conference of the Nineteenth Century Studies Association, March 22-24, 2012, Asheville, North Carolina
- “Lemuria Rising: California in the Theosophical Place-Making Imagination.” South Eastern Commission for the Study of Religion, Regional Meeting, March 2-4, 2012, Atlanta, Georgia
- “Blavatsky’s Coming Race: Nationalism, Racism and Fiction in Theosophical Doctrine.” Florida State University. “Beyond Borders: Constructing, Deconstructing, and Transgressing Boundaries,” Eleventh Annual Department of Religion Graduate Student Symposium, February 17-19, 2012, Tallahassee, Florida
- “‘Can Females Become Adepts?’: Explicating the Complexity of Gender within the Theosophical Society.” Florida State University. “Women and Minorities: Past and Present,” Third Annual Southeast Regional History Graduate Student Conference, September 9, 2011, Tallahassee, Florida
- “Placing Western Esotericism on the Map: Exploring the Geographic Distribution of a Modern Occult Organization.” University of Toronto, “Religion: A Human Phenomenon,” 20th World Congress of the International Association for the History of Religion, August 15-21, 2010, Toronto, Canada
- “A New Jerusalem in Cyberspace?” University of Strasbourg, “Capitals of European Esotericism and Transcultural Dialogue,” 2nd International Conference of ESSWE, July 2-4, 2009, Strasbourg, France
- “Duncan’s Royal Arch Ritual as a possible framework for Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code.” University of Leiden, “The Expression of Freemasonry,” November 27-28, 2008, The Hague, Netherlands.
- “The Bhikkhu and the Magus: Exploring Allan Bennett’s Influence on Aleister Crowley.” CESNUR, ‘Twenty Years and More: Research into Minority Religions, New Religious Movements and ‘the New Spirituality’ April 16-20, 2008, London, England.
- “Miracle or Magic: The Problematic Status of Christian Amulets.” University of Amsterdam, “Emblems, Magic, and Hidden Knowledge,” March 25, 2008, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- “Epistemological Blinders: Constructivism and Mahamudra.” Kennesaw State University, 5th Annual North Georgia Student Philosophy Conference, April 4, 2007, Atlanta Georgia.
- “The Nature of Becoming: An examination of Aleister Crowley’s Ontology and Map of Consciousness.” Kennesaw State University, 4th Annual North Georgia Student Philosophy Conference, April 2, 2006, Atlanta Georgia.
- Assistant to the Editor, Japan Studies Association Journal, 2008-2014, Japan Studies Association
- Assistant to the Editor, Belmont Humanities Symposium Journal, 2011-2014, Belmont University.
- Assistant to the Editor, East West-Connections, 2005-2012, The Asian Studies Development Program of the East-West Center in Honolulu, Hawai’i.
- Assistant to the Editors, Church History: Studies in Christianity and Culture, 2010-2011, American Society of Church History
- Co-Organized THATCamp AAR/SBL, 2014-2015
- MOOC Advisory Committee Member, Society for U.S. Intellectual Historians, 2013
- Buddhism in the West, American Academy of Religion (AAR) Sub-Committee Member, 2013-2015
- Outside reviewer for Oxford University Press
- Advanced Online Teaching Certificate, July 2015, Online Learning Consortium
- Quality Matters Applying QM Rubric (APPQMR), January 2015
- American Historical Association, 2013-2015
- American Academy of Religion, 2010-2015
- Association for the Study of Esotericism (North America), 2006-2015
- European Society for the Study of Western Esotericism, 2008-2015
- The National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- Sigma Nu Fraternity, Iota Pi Chapter
- FSU Excellence in Online Course Design Award (2013)
- FSU Excellence in Online Teaching Award, Honorable Mention (2013)
- Best Philosophy Paper, Third Annual Southeast Regional History Graduate Student Conference, 2011
- FSU Department of Religion Presentation Grant, 2009, 201 and 2014
- FSU Congress of Graduate Students Conference Presentation Grant, 2009-2010, 2012-2014
- FSU Graduate Tuition Scholarship, 2009 – 2013
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarship, Graduate School of Humanities 2007-2009
- Georgia HOPE Tuition Scholarship 2004-2007
Infotank, LLC., Atlanta, Georgia
Information Technology Support Engineer August 2006 to July 2007
- Assist in the maintenance of all information technology for largest Presbyterian congregation in the United States
- Provide support of servers, network, and users on a day-to-day basis
TechDiscovery, LLC., Atlanta, Georgia
Information Technology Manager September 2000 to August 2006
- Designed, implemented, and managed Windows 2003 & Cisco based network infrastructure between Atlanta, Georgia and Kiev, Ukraine, with satellite locations in Denver, Colorado, and Austin, Texas.
- Project management of multiple internal and client based projects
- Taught numerous internal courses to employees and management on software and network systems
GlobalDoc, Inc., Atlanta, Georgia
Localization Manager January 1999 to August 1999
- Managed projects for adapting software products and documentation for foreign markets for Fortune 500 companies
- Installed and managed internal local area network
- Updated and maintained company internet site in five languages
MB Consulting, Inc., Acworth, Georgia
President February 1996 to September 2000
- Installed & managed Windows & Macintosh based networks for graphics and publishing companies throughout Southeastern United States
- Sales & installation of non-English language fonts, graphics & design software, specializing in Asian languages
- Assisted Apple Computer, Inc., Adobe Systems, Inc. and DiamondSoft, Inc. in prerelease beta testing of non-English language software
Magnolia Studios, Inc., Marietta, Georgia
Information Systems Manager December 1994 to February 1996
- Oversaw the installation and maintenance of data intensive network for a multi-lingual service company
- Maintained numerous non-English operating systems, particularly Asian language operating systems
- Typeset documents in over forty languages, and output client files on a variety of print devices including imagesetters and direct-to-plate printers
ComputerLand/Vanstar National Technical Support Center, Roswell, Georgia
Help Desk Technical Specialist January 1992 to December 1994
- Lead specialist for Microsoft products and all Macintosh OS, software and hardware support calls
- Answered end-user support calls for over 40 different software applications for Windows and Macintosh
- Evaluated and trained new personnel in operational procedures, equipment configuration and use
- Created internal software applications for call tracking and technical skills tests